Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day!
Friday 17 February 2017
Recently residents at Karuna welcomed a visitor from Aunt Sandra’s Candy Factory. This unique team makes sweets and fudge by hand and certainly brought some candy coloured fun to all!
Resident Allister said:
“It was good and I would recommend it to anybody. We made chocolate by pouring chocolate into a mould then you put whatever you want in it. All different types of sweets like spaceships, marshmallows big and small, smarties and jelly beans, we put them into the freezer to harden the chocolate.”
The company has an interesting history and spared no theatrics in portraying it to our service users.
“The man was funny, like Willy Wonka and the Chocolate factory, he had a big tall hat and a colourful coat. He told us a story about the chocolate factory. He said it was going longer than him, I think it was started in the 1940’S…
“In those days everything was black and white and everybody moved very fast like in the old movies, but in the factory everything was brightly coloured and all the doors were different colours and he knew that was where he wanted to work when he grew up. He told the guy that owned the factory that he was going to work there. The owner said he couldn’t but he pushed the doors open and ran inside and all the Willy Wonka’s were laughing at him but he got the job.”
The day was a great success. By combining ingredients of pure imagination and creativity the stage was set for the production of some seriously scrumdiddlyumptious treats.
“We got to make chocolate pizzas and marshmallows dipped in chocolate the chocolate was divine and delicious. They make all their own chocolate and the chocolate was melted in big pats, we also got a big yellow lolly at the end. I enjoyed it very much and I would like to have him back again sometime,” said Allister.
Karuna provides residential care for up to nine adults who have Learning Disabilities and associated conditions aged between 18 and 65 years on the first day they move in. If you would like to find out more about residential services please visit this page.
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackieís Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedarís 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015