Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine!
Monday 30 January 2017
Geraldine is a tenant in Cedar's Ardkeen Supported Living Scheme. She wanted to go on a short holiday in Newcastle and decided to stay in Slieve Donard Hotel. As part of her trip, she wanted to go swimming for the first time in her life, and this was challenging due to her disability.
Furthermore, Geraldine had to consider a number of other issues. One of which was the facilitation of her special wheelchair built for her body shape in order to keep her as comfortable as possible.
Upon trying to get into her room, staff realised that her wheelchair was too big to fit the doorframe. With great support of hotel staff and the staff present with Geraldine, she managed to get in. As staff tried to get through the pool doors, the same issue arose. With the help of Slieve Donard staff, Cedar staff and Geraldine's great patience, she managed to get into the pool and for the first time she was able to swim. She explains "this is something I never thought I'd be able to do".
Geraldine had a great time swimming, and enjoying her break in Newcastle. The hotel took into consideration the experience and also mentioned to look in the future at different ways to adapt better their facilities. The staff were enthusiastic about helping and it is positive that they will now further consider access.
There are a number of considerations for those with a disability when travelling. For advice and tips on your rights regarding transport services and accommodation please visit this NI Direct website.
- Foyle youth group build skills while clowning around! 28 Mar 2017
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackieís Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedarís 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015