Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar
Friday 19 August 2016
Brian Doherty is a participant of The Cedar Foundation’s Inclusion Works Northern programme and has recently completed, with distinction, a Foundation degree in Counselling through NRC Ballymena with support from both NRC and Cedar.
Brian’s journey to this point has been an interesting and challenging one – Brian lived for many years in Australia where he worked as a Kitchen Fitter on the Gold Coast. It was during his time he first expressed an interest in further study and successfully completed the 1st year of a degree in psychology Brian discovered he had developed a visual impairment which was also progressive in nature. At that point Brian realised that his future career options would have to be carefully considered and the full extent of his visual impairment was not yet clear. The prospect of a complete loss of vision seemed a very likely prediction.
Having returned home and in light of his new situation Brian and was referred to Cedar’s Inclusion Works programme where he identified realistic career paths suitable for someone with a severe visual impairment. Brian’s interest in psychology came to the fore and counselling was identified as a realistic employment goal.
Brian and his Case Officer enquired with the local college NRC to see if the 1st year of the psychology degree from would earn any dispensation only to discover that Brian would have to start his studies from the beginning. Brian displayed incredible determination and resolve in working through the basic Introduction to Counselling course which was compulsory in order to gain entry to the Foundations Degree.
As part of the Foundation Degree Brian had to secure a clinical placement with Rockfield Medical Centre in Ballymena where Brian has been working with clients for the past two years. He gains great satisfaction from his academic achievements but feels that the real caveat comes from the clinical placement hours, working with clients and putting his new skillset to valuable use enabling others to overcome life’s challenges.
Brian is now approaching the end of his time with Cedar and is continuing to work part time Rockfield Medical Centre. He has also decided to offer independent counselling services to people through his own organisation: Independent Peace Counselling Services.
If you would like to know more about the services Brian offers you can contact him through the following means: Brian Doherty FdSc. MBACP, Inner Peace Counselling Services, Mob: 07597007158, Email:email@example.com
The Cedar Foundation would like to offer Brian the best of luck in this endeavour and congratulations on his academic accomplishments to date.
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackieís Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedarís 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015