Peter Wilson Leading the Way!
Tuesday 07 June 2016
Peter Wilson, Service Manager for Supported Employment Services in Cedar has recently been awarded the Silver Acorn, one of the highest awards in The Scout Association in the United Kingdom.
The Silver Acorn is awarded for exceptional service by an individual who has been a leader. It is seldom awarded for less than 20 years of service, which highlights how Peter’s contribution has been better than outstanding as this instance is specifically distinguished.
Peter has over 20 years of service as a Scout Leader with 6th Bangor, and was the Unit leader for Northern Ireland Scouts attending the World Jamboree in Japan in 2015. Since September 2015 Peter has taken on the role of District Commissioner for North Down overseeing their 12 Groups and nearly 1200 young people and leaders.
He was invited to attend the annual St Georges Day service and celebration event in the grounds of Windsor Castle, where Prince Michael of Kent and Bear Grylls were guests of honour. Steve Backshall and Deputy UK Youth Commissioner Jagz Barth were on hand to congratulate the recipients.
Peter, shown here with his medal and in full Northern Ireland dress uniform including the Saffron Kilt said:
“This is such an honour for me to be held in such high esteem by my peers. Scouting has developed my skills and helped me achieve so much in life, but also given me the opportunity to travel all over the world and help young people achieve their potential. To get an award for doing something that brings such joy, fun and adventure, shows how volunteering can have a positive impact on everyone's lives.”
Colin Lammey, Northern Ireland Commissioner remarked:
“The future of Scouting in Northern Ireland is in good hands when we have leaders like Peter who are committed to delivering the best Scouting to growing numbers of young people. This award is very well deserved and I hope that Peter continues to drive Scouting in Northern Ireland.”
From all the team at Cedar we would like to add congratulations on this fantastic achievement. Well done Peter!
Find a Related Service
- Foyle youth group build skills while clowning around! 28 Mar 2017
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackieís Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedarís 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015