Cedar Celebrates Cycling Success
Friday 01 May 2015
As Belfast launched the public bike share or “Boris bikes” scheme this week, The Cedar Foundation celebrated the success of its own accessible cycling scheme – ‘On Yer Bike’ with an event for participants at Belfast City Hall.
The accessible cycling initiative was launched in June 2014 with the aim of supporting people with disabilities living in Belfast to become more physically active and included. In its fledgling year ‘On Yer Bike’ was funded by Active Belfast (a Belfast Strategic Partnership signature initiative) which aims to promote healthy living and increase physical activity across the city. The funding secured a fleet of specialised bikes and enabled 35 people with disabilities to successfully complete accessible cycling proficiency training. With their training now complete they are relishing the opportunities to safely confidently and safely participate in cycling as a leisure pursuit on the cycle network and in the public parks around the Greater Belfast area.
Cedar’s Disability Sports Officer, Sergio Dominguez, designed and delivered the bespoke accessible cycling proficiency training said, “We are all too aware that people with disabilities encounter many barriers preventing them from getting involved in sport. ‘On Yer Bike’ allows adults and young people with a range of disabilities to become more physically active in their local community and gain the benefits from taking part in exercise”.
“While, there are other clubs which support people with disabilities they tend to only cater for people with similar conditions such as tandem clubs for people with visual impairments and hand cycle clubs for people with limited leg mobility. “On Yer Bike” offers a unique and innovative opportunity for people with disabilities to get involved in cycling as it supports individuals on a pan-disability basis to cycle together”.
Without a doubt the project has generated a passion for cycling amongst its participants, they hope to share their enthusiasm with others and campaign for accessible cycling opportunities for all in the City!
Find a Related Service
- Foyle youth group build skills while clowning around! 28 Mar 2017
- Social Evening Strikes it Right4U! 27 Feb 2017
- Karuna Residents Golden Ticket to a Great Day! 17 Feb 2017
- Jackie’s Coastal Adventures in County Down 08 Feb 2017
- Celebrating in Style: Luxury Adventure for Geraldine! 30 Jan 2017
- Floating Support helps Terry Find and Settle Into a New Home 20 Jan 2017
- Bowling for Success with SCN! 12 Jan 2017
- Living Options Focus: Celebrations at Mourneview 09 Jan 2017
- Happy New Year from Cedar! 05 Jan 2017
- Getting Festive with Foyle's Youth Matters 16 Dec 2016
- Showcase Performance Brings Insight To Travelling With a Disability 09 Dec 2016
- Citizens Advice Bureau Working With Cedar Foundation 28 Nov 2016
- Mayor Visits as Cedar Foyle Showcase Services! 25 Nov 2016
- Cedar Balmoral Showcase Inclusion Works Service! 25 Nov 2016
- Training for Success! 22 Nov 2016
- Gillian Craig Going the Extra Mile for Cedar! 15 Nov 2016
- Cedar announced as NI Assembly Charity of the Year 07 Oct 2016
- Cedar Celebrates Service Users with Award Ceremony 12 Sep 2016
- Paul Ewart's Story 08 Sep 2016
- A Fruitful Partnership 02 Sep 2016
- Congratulations to Odhran! 30 Aug 2016
- Brian launches new Independent Counselling Service following support from Cedar 19 Aug 2016
- Local Summer Scheme is Steeped in Success 09 Aug 2016
- Peter Wilson Leading the Way! 07 Jun 2016
- Diamonds of Social Inclusion - we celebrate 75 years of Cedar 03 Jun 2016
- Cedar’s 75th Celebrations Begin 02 Feb 2016
- Christmas has well and truly arrived at Youth Matters! 23 Dec 2015